Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University: George W. Gore Award
IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN APPLYING
- This scholarship is exclusive to Boys & Girls Club members, however, applicants must provide the complete name of their Boys & Girls Club on the application in order to be considered for the scholarship.
About the George W. Gore Award
- The George W. Gore Award program is a merit scholarship for U. S. high school graduates. It is named after the fifth University President, Dr. George Gore, Jr. Prior to his presidency, Dr. Gore served as president of Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial College (currently, Tennessee State University-TSU). While serving as dean, Dr. Gore established the Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society in 1937. He believed in high ideas and scholastic achievements. In 1950, he became president of Florida A&M University. Under his presidency, Florida A&M College was elevated to Florida A&M University. This elevation brought about a restructuring and expansion of academic programs to include professional and graduate degrees. This expansion included the new Schools of Pharmacy, Law, and Graduate Studies. Recipients of this scholarship exhibit high ideas and scholastic achievements.
- • Must major in the following fields: Engineering, Physical and Life Natural, Computer Science programs
• Must earn a standard U.S. high school diploma or its equivalency (unless the student completes a home education program or earns a high school diploma from a non-US high school while living with a parent who is on military or public service assignment away from the US)
• Must have 1170 on the redesigned SAT or a 26 on the ACT
• Must earn a *550 on the SAT math section or *26 on the ACT Math subject area
• Must have a 3.0 FAMU recalculated GPA (Florida Bright Futures Academics Scholars must have a 3.5 FAMU recalculated GPA)Must earn a minimum score of 76 on the ALEKS Math exam for Engineering, Physical, Life, Natural and Computer Sciences majors
• Must be a U.S. Citizen/U. S. Resident
- Eligibility for renewal is determined at the end of the second semester or the equivalent of each academic year. For automatic renewal, an award recipient:
• Must earn credit for all hours enrolled by the regular drop/add period each term.
• Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
• Must maintain the degree program at time of admission
• Must validate FAFSA on file in the FAMU Office of Financial Aid prior to February 1
Scholarship Amounts and Availability
- • Open
Application Deadline for Fall 2018 School Year
November 30, 2017
For more information or questions contact
- Boys & Girls Club of America
Phone: (404) 487-5654