Planet Fitness Judgement Free Generation Scholarship
January 29, 2020 – May 15, 2020
About the Planet Fitness Judgement Free Generation Scholarship
Planet Fitness is offering $5,000 scholarships to thirty deserving teens who model the judgement free, pro-kindness, and anti-bullying values for which Planet Fitness and Boys & Girls Clubs of America collectively stand. While many scholarships take into consideration only academics and/or athletics, this scholarship – part of Planet Fitness’ Judgement Free Generation initiative – will focus on acceptance and will be awarded to those students that are passionate about spreading kindness, and stopping bullying.
- Be a high school senior
- Be an active member of Boys and Girls Club
- Model the judgement free, pro-kindness, and anti-bullying values for which Planet Fitness and Boys & Girls Clubs of America collectively stand
- Enroll in a fulltime undergraduate program at an accredited two- or four-year college, vocational or technical school within one year of your high school graduation
- Have the recommendation of a Club staff member
Up to thirty (30) awards of $5,000 will be awarded. Awards are to be used for education-related expenses for undergraduate study.
Awards are one-time only and not renewable.
Applicants must also complete the following requirements:
- A current, complete transcript of grades must be uploaded with your application. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken
- A short essay and a personal statement
- A completed Recommendation of a Club staff member
- A short video telling why you are committed to spreading kindness and stopping bullying (full instructions below)(In order to be acceptable, video MUST be saved as one of the following file types: .MOV, .MPEG4 or .MP4)
Selection of Recipients
Recipients will be selected based on consideration of:
- An essay on the following questions:
- How has bullying impacted your life, Club or community?
- Why is it important to you personally to end bullying?
- How are you spreading kindness, acceptance, tolerance and judgement free values in your life, Club and/or community?
- How have you impacted others in modeling these values?
- How do you plan to continue to spread kindness in college or in your future aspirations?
- Video Content Requirements:
- Please respond to the following prompt, repeating the prompt as the first sentence in your video:
- At the end of your video, please say the following phrase: “I am a proud member of the Judgement Free Generation!”
- Video Length: 60 seconds or less
“I am committed to spreading kindness and stopping bullying because…”
- To get the perfect shot:
- Make sure the phone/device is turned sideways; by shooting on a horizontal frame, your video fills up the entire frame.
- Keep the camera steady.
- If possible, use a tripod with a mobile device adapter
- OR, if you are shooting the video yourself, you can prop the device up on something stable or prop your elbow on a desk/something stable while you hold the device
- OR, if a friend is shooting the video, have them seated across from you with their elbows resting on their knees or a table/something stable for support.
- Stand or sit no more than 3 feet from the device. A shot that shows your upper torso is ideal.
- Do not zoom in on the camera, as it reduces the quality
- If possible, please shoot video in a well-lit space (natural lighting preferred)
- Find a quiet area with minimal to no background noise, such as cars, loud talking, televisions, fans, etc.
- Avoid using any music in the background
- If you make a mistake, make sure you start from the beginning of that particular thought and not from the middle of a sentence
- Make sure to look at the camera when speaking
- Please avoid wearing clothes with highly-visible logos
- Don’t overthink it. Remember to smile and show your personality in your response!
- Save video as one of the following file types: .MOV, .MPEG4 or .MP4
Payment of Scholarships
Scholarship America processes scholarship payments on behalf of Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Planet Fitness. Payment will be made in one installment in mid-August of the scholars’ freshman year directly to the educational institution. Payments will not be made directly to the scholar.
Recipients are required to notify Scholarship America of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information, and to send a complete transcript when requested.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Planet Fitness reserve the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
For more information or questions: